Hand lotion poisoning occurs when someone swallows hand lotion or hand cream.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure.
These ingredients in hand lotion or cream can be harmful if swallowed:
- Mineral oil
- Paraffins (waxes)
- Various alcohols
- Where Found
Symptoms of hand lotion poisoning include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Possible blockage in the intestines that causes stomach pain
DO NOT make the person throw up unless poison control or a health care provider tells you to. Give the person water or milk right away, unless a provider tells you not to. DO NOT give anything to drink if the person has symptoms that make it hard to swallow. These include:
- A decreased level of alertness
Have this information ready:
- Person's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated.
The person may receive:
- Blood and urine tests
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medicine to treat the effects of the poison
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach
How well someone does depends on how much hand lotion they swallowed and how quickly they receive treatment. The faster medical help is given, the better the chance for recovery.